Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Men Represent - Guilty pleasure style icons


So we are already half way through the second week of Men Represent and it's really about time that we sunk our teeth into the subject of male style icons. They come in all shapes and sizes and within all walks of life I'm sure...there are more icons to be found outside the modern day clut of celebrity. I would like to start off proceedings with airing my dirty style icon laundry and staying in the realms of celebrity...here is my guilty pleasure style icon. We all have them I'm sure, the people who inspired us as impressionable youths and now that we have managed to grow some facial hair and have the ability to legally do the things we did before, these figures still affect us. Despite our better judgements sggesting the contrary they invoke some degree of nostalgic loyalty. What's that? You want an example...ok well I will give you one of mine, Pharrell Williams (I refuse to call him Skateboard P or any other name he might want me to). There was a time when Mr Williams who could do no wrong in my eyes. He had produced the soundtrack to many summers and was being featured in all the right places, what can I say, I was an impressionable youth. This style icon puppy love reached it's peak following the cover shoot he did for The Face. Since then I've grown older and seen many a crack in him but my lasting nostalgia lives on. Even if he is wearing the very worst kind of smart causal hybrid (he really it at his worst when he wears tuxedo and ill fitting jeans and uninspired footwear) I really don't mind...in 2002 he owned the radio.


However, I recently stumbled across the below image and it brought out the teenage girl in me. For me this is perfect smart casual wear. This look inspires me all over again and provokes a desire to go out in search of a well cut grey wool jacket - I might just do that tomorrow...who needs to work? Anyway, my guilty pleasure isn't looking that guilty here - there were plenty of example of Williams getting it wrong but the blog isn't an outlet to criticise - we leave that to the likes of gofugyourself who are far cleverer and better at it than us. Regardless go and listen to one his productions, I suggest Mystikal's 'Shake ya ass' and post your guitly pleasure style icons in the comments and I will revisit this often over looked phenomenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment